Set to be published by EA, the game is once more set to focus on ‘deep RPG gameplay’ and is set to be powered by a brand new RPG game engine underpinned by Frostbite 2 technology – the same engine which powers the likes of first-person shooters Battlefield 3 and Medal of Honor: Warfighter.
‘I am pleased to confirm that we are, in fact, working on the next Dragon Age game,’ said series executive producer Mark Darrah on his blog. ‘Not a big surprise to most of you, I know. We have been working on it in some way for about two years now with the bulk of our efforts ramping up about 18 months ago.’
‘Recently, I said that we didn’t want to talk about Dragon Age III unless we had something to show. I’m trying to stick to that plan and won’t be revealing much today. That said, a lot of information and rumors have surfaced recently and we don’t want to hide from them. There are a bunch of things that I really want to share with you but I want to do this right, and doing it right requires some more time.’
‘So here’s what I can confirm for now:
- The next game will be called Dragon Age III: Inquisition.
- We won’t be talking about the story of the game today. Though you can make some guesses from the title.
- This game is being made by a lot of the same team that has been working on Dragon Age since Dragon Age: Origins.
- It’s composed of both experienced BioWare veterans and talented new developers.
- We are working on a new engine which we believe will allow us to deliver a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization. At PAX East, we talked about armor and followers… Yeah, that kind of customization. We’ve started with Frostbite 2 from DICE as a foundation to accomplish this.’
‘We’ve been poring over player feedback from past games and connecting directly with our fans,’ added general manager of BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal Aaryn Flynn. ‘They haven’t held back, so we’re not either. With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they’re asking for – a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral.’
Dragon Age 3: Inquisition has been confirmed as ‘coming in late 2013′ while platforms have yet to be confirmed (though PC at least seems a fair bet).